Leading telecommunications operators work with GSMA support to build the Telco Edge cloud platform. The common approach aims to bring applications closer to the end-user and enable the implementation of innovative services.
Leading mobile operators such as China Unicom and some other major telecom companies have joined with the support of the industry organization GSMA to develop an interoperable platform that should make edge computing easy and available worldwide.
The platform, which will be launched in the current year, will provide application developers and software providers with local resources and capabilities such as latency, computing capacity, and storage space so that they can meet the needs of corporate customers.
Edge Cloud Aims For Global Reach
The administrators have consented to cooperate to build up an edge-figuring engineering system and a reference stage, and the GSMA has propelled an administrator stage task to help this energizing activity. The platform will initially be used in several markets in Europe and gradually rolled out to other operators and regions in order to finally reach a global reach.
The Edge Cloud is intended to open up the possibility for expansion to local or international markets, while at the same time ensuring compliance with local regulations and the relevant data protection laws.
Telco Edge Cloud will:
- Be open and comprehensive,
- Provide mechanisms for data protection and data sovereignty,
- Offer reliability, security, and trustworthiness at the carrier level
- Use existing technology solutions, including aggregation platform solutions such as MobiledgeX or the connection mechanisms developed in the context of the experience of the GSMA MultiOperator MEC.
“The Edge Cloud, as a unified network edge ecosystem, will offer diversified and tailored products and services, as well as multiple platform capabilities. It will also enable broader cross-border collaboration to meet the digital transformation needs of various vertical industries,” said Experts
Platform Should Enable Customers To “Innovative Experiences”
- “The Edge Cloud has great potential to enable our customers to have a lot of innovative experiences,” said Experts. “The use of MobiledgeX as a platform partner and aggregator in the network is the best way to create economies of scale, to involve the developer community and to influence the market.
- “The market needs an edge cloud that meets the needs of companies to service their customers. Telecommunications operators are in an extremely good position to offer a trustworthy and open edge cloud so that companies can offer their services and business opportunities as close as possible necessary to maximize on their customers, “
- “Thanks to its flexible computing capacity and low access latency to computing resources, the Telco Edge Cloud will be an excellent opportunity to transform the network from a” bit pipe “into an effective digital business platform,”
- The GSMA operator platform project intends to develop a framework for operators to open and monetize their network resources. Through the operator platform, the Telcos can offer their customers the opportunity to take advantage of edge computing, storage, and connectivity with the highest security standards, while bringing in the organizational skills from the experience of providing highly reliable (five-nine) services over a distributed network environment.
Telekom is further expanding the partner network of the “IoT Solution Optimizer”. The mobile operator Telia Company is a new addition. Suppliers such as Qualcomm or Nordic Semiconductor make the service even more attractive. Telekom offers companies a quick and easy entry into the Internet of Things (IoT).
With just a few clicks, the IoT Solution Optimizer creates hardware solutions as a so-called “digital twin”. Customers can put together the desired design from a wide range of technology suppliers. With the IoT Solution Optimizer, companies develop battery-powered mobile IoT solutions at a low cost.
Possible applications include the location of sensors and tracking of valuable goods. IoT devices also monitor conditions such as temperature or drought. Also SmartCity- solutions – eg Smart Lighting or smart Waste – are typical scenarios.